Monday, November 22, 2010

In Everything Give Thanks.

Be joyful always; pray continually. In everything give thanks(or give thanks in all circumstances) for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

How many times have I heard or read these verses? Probably more than I can count. However, in the past week I feel like I've heard it more often than usual. Maybe because it's almost thanksgiving or maybe it's because the Lord knows I need to hear it and is opening my ears to it. Either way, I have been thinking about it a lot.

Generally when I hear "In everything give thanks," I take it at surface level and think of course, we should be thankful for everything God has given us. But the other day when I heard it I felt like I had heard it for the first time. In everything or in all circumstances. That means even when we're going through something hard, we're supposed to be thanking the Lord for that trial, thanking him for struggles. That's kind of hard, at least for me. When things are tough, I'm probably more likely to ask Him to take it away. Instead, I need to thank Him for this trial and realize that He is working out everything for my good. 

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Be Joyful always; pray continually.

Being joyful isn't the same as being happy. I think being is happy is more of a temporary feeling while we can live our lives in a state of joy. Joy is our hope in the Lord, knowing that He has a plan for our lives and that He loves us with a love we can't comprehend. Prayer is the root of that relationship with Him. We're called to be in constant conversation with Him, to turn to Him with everything.

*I am not saying that I am strong in these areas or that I really know what I'm talking about. Because I don't. I just wanted to share what has been on my heart and thought it was somewhat relevant since it's almost thanksgiving. 

Speaking of thanksgiving, I hope yours is wonderful! I wish I could celebrate with the beautiful girls of 244 but I know they're all loving the time they get to spend with their families!

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I have the number one item that will be on my Christmas list. A Pillow Pet . I feel pretty confident that if you watch the video, you'll want one too. Maybe it's because I was camp counselor for 7 and 8 year olds this summer, but I find myself more and more obsessed with precious children's items. 


Honestly, how can you resist this little bee?




And, a bonus! When I was looking for a picture, I discovered that the company supports families fighting pediatric cancers and other life-threatening diseases. I'm sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment